Monday, January 25, 2010

Girls got Sassitude!



Okay, so this weekend has been an incredible challenge. Probably due to the fact that neither Emma nor I have felt very well. And, although I hate to admit it, she is almost as stubborn and determined as I am. The girl truly has some sassitude and I have found myself wondering who overdid the spice in her sugar. I have felt like I was playing tug of war with a semi-truck.

But, I do love her strong sense of self and determination. These are qualities that in other venues we often appreciate. So why not so much when it comes to our kids? Well honestly, As a parent it is easy to see only the negative side of children’s behaviors. At times we are so close to our children or tired and fatigued that we lose our objectivity and our sense of proportion goes out the window. When they fail to meet our expectations it is often hard to look for a positive side.

My challenge as a parent is to channel her behaviors rather than change her or snuff out her determination to get what she wants. My daughter will learn in time that she cannot always treat every situation head-on and that to get her own way sometimes it is essential to give a little ground.

My job is to teach my kids where limits exist in relationships. So, I will continue to provide them with the consistent and persistent guidelines and limits they need and will hold them to the consequences of breaking them. But I will also make sure they are loved and cherished for who they are… I love my daughter and her spunk (although I am okay with admitting it can be very frustrating at times)

0 comments: